Know your enemy

At a recent seminar we were being taught the importance of not focusing on a specific technique, but instead to flow with the opponent. If the Uke tried to pull, we used that pull. If the Uke tried to push, we used that push. If we lost our 'cool' and focused on trying to make a specific technique happen, then our technique could be beaten easily by a strong or tricky opponent.

At one point I was training with my partner, and I started to have problems. I kept wanting to do something, I kept panicking and rushing to what I thought should be the conclusion of the technique. It then dawned on me, 'I' am the problem here. Of course, my Uke is a potential problem too, if I do not move and protect myself he will surely hurt me. But once I have gained some familiarity with the form, my biggest problem is my own lack of self control.

It is difficult to time the movements well. To hold a good integrated kamae, at the right time, in the right place. Taijutsu is difficult. I have to be patient (忍), this is 'training' after all, and not a real fight (実戦). If I can not apply the principles of what I am learning in the environment of a training hall, how can I believe in my training?

I must learn to master my enemy, now that I know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment